History

The Dealership that Service Built - Since 1938
Established in 1938, Reynolds Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC Truck, Subaru Inc have been doing business in the historic town of Orange, VA for over 70 years.  The business began as humbly as most did back then, as a one man Shell service station.  Chester Arthur Reynolds Sr., known as 'Jack' was a  child of the depression who knew how to hunt, to rebuild cars and to raise a family.  The service station began in 1930 about ¼ of a mile from our current location.     

In 1938 the business changed location and began selling Pontiacs from another dealer's supply in the neighboring county of Madison.  Jack had two sons, Chester Jr. and Roy, of which one, Chester took to the business immediately.  Jack and Chester began selling more Pontiacs than the store in Madison which lead to Pontiac's eventual partnership with us a few years later.     In 

1941, Chester and Roy enlisted in the Air Force after the bombing of Pearl Harbor where Chester served as a chauffer driver in London, England for a General.  Roy's tour took him to Tunisia. Meanwhile, Jack became skilled at buying older cars, rebuilding them, and selling them. Through the misfortunes of war, a building was destroyed where Chester was driving one afternoon, and he ran in and saved many people's lives earning him the Soldier's Medal upon his return to the US in 1945.  Once Chester returned, he and Jack formally received the Pontiac franchise and began our new car franchise career.  Upon Roy's return, he went to work at a local metal factory as the parts manager.     

In 1951 we acquired the Cadillac franchise and took on 15 employees.  In 1957 Jack passed away, and Roy entered the dealership to become the head cashier.  In 1963, we acquired GMC truck, and shortly after we found the need to open a body shop.  There was a building next door that was for sale, so we purchased the building and turned it into the body shop as it exists today. In 1968, the tractor dealership next to the showroom decided to relocate, so we purchased that building also and made it the main showroom as it exists today.  The former showroom became the exclusive service department as it exists today. In 1970, one of Chester's two sons, Kevin, came on board formally, and with GM's increased confidence, we received Buick.     

Only a few months later Kevin was forced to enlist in the Navy as the Vietnam War gained momentum.  In 1972 Kevin returned to sell cars under the cautious direction of his experienced and knowledgeable father.  Kevin's younger brother Tom entered the dealership after a sparkling football career at Virginia Tech in 1975.  The four continued to work and grow intermittently for the next 11 years.  In 1986 Chester died unexpectedly of pulmonary fibrosis leaving the business to Tom and Kevin.  From that point, Kevin Sr. became the Sales Manager as well as the Dealer-Operator, and Tom became the General Manager and President.  These were just titles of course, and each wore more than two hats.  In 1990 we purchased a lot to increase our frontage and help our exposure on the main highway.  In 1991 we acquired our first import line, Subaru.  Since then, we've opened another used car center and continued to serve our community humbly and gratefully.

Contact

Reynolds GM Subaru

249 Madison Rd
Directions Orange, VA 22960

  • Sales: (877) 456-5534
  • Service: (888) 568-4315
  • Parts: (866) 983-3561